A Brief Intro to the Streamified Browser Extension
We’re so excited that the new Streamified browser extension is finally live! Here’s our quick and easy guide to getting started…
- Download the Streamified browser extension for Google Chrome and Firefox (IE support coming ASAP) here. If you have SGPlus already installed, please uninstall it prior to downloading.
- Double-click the Streamified button in your toolbar to access the extension’s settings. (If you don’t see it in Firefox, right-click the toolbar area and select “customize,” then manually drag the icon into the toolbar.) Here’s where you can add new streams and edit your settings.
- Click on “Add New Stream ” to reveal the list of streams you can add. Click on the streams you want to add. Follow the instructions in the pop-up window to log in, and wait for the window to close itself.
- You should see a black notification appear in the upper right corner of your browser to confirm that the stream was added successfully, as well as the stream’s icon and account name under “Streamified Settings” on the left.
- To customize streams, click on each one individually (e.g., I would click on the Twitter icon and @streamified) and select what you would like to view in your stream. If you’re already an iOS mobile user, you’ll be familiar with the options here. For example, you can select to only view a specific Twitter list in your Twitter stream, or enable specific Facebook pages that you’d like to be able to view and post to in the stream-specific settings.
Now that you’re all set up, let’s actually browse your streams!
- The default is to view “all streams,” and you’ll notice that when you go to the Google homepage that the Home button on the left has now been replaced by a Streamified icon.
- You’ll see posts from all your added streams here, now, side by side with Google posts.
- If you hover your mouse over the Streamified icon, you’ll be able to select an individual stream to view. Clicking on the specific stream will display posts from that stream only. You can return to “all streams” by mousing over the Streamified icon and selecting that option.
- Clicking on the toolbar at the top (it has the search bar, your name, etc.) will bring you back to the top of the view.
What about updating your streams?
- No matter what view you’re working in (“all streams,” Facebook, Twitter, etc.) you can post and crosspost to update your streams.
- You can either click in the compose box at the top of the stream (it will say “Share what’s new…” in the box) or click the ” Share” button in the upper right corner to begin your post.
- To select where your post will go to, click each stream, Facebook page, or Tumblr blog and look for the little green check mark to appear, confirming that it has been selected for cross posting.
- Type in your message.
- Google features like locking a post, disabling comments, and sharing to a specific circle or person only are still supported. Of course, if you want the post to solely be viewable to a specific circle or person but still crosspost your content to a separate network like Twitter or Facebook, the post will be viewable on those networks as well.
- Hit “Share”!
Clicking once on the Streamified icon, when browsing any page, opens a share box.
- You can edit the title and description of your share (for Twitter, the “description” text is what is shared, along with the URL of the page), and select if you want a thumbnail picture to represent the page.
- Select the network(s) you want to post to. Please note that right now, due to technical limitations, you can’t post to Google+ from the share box.
- Hit “Post”; the share box should close, and you should see black notifications appear in the upper right corner to let you know that the post was shared successfully.
- You can also Like, Tweet, or +1 the page from the share box.
Now that you’ve had a chance to play around with the new extension, what do you think? We have plenty we still want to incorporate, including being able to subscribe to supported blogs. Of course, we’ll keep you posted about any extension news here, too. If you want to get in touch with us about the extension, hit us up at GetSatisfaction.
Justine Dolorfino is Streamified’s marketing coordinator. She can be reached at Justine@Streamified.com.