Streamified browser extension updated: Usernames, better sharing, and more
Here at Streamified, we’ve been hard at work rolling out new changes. Today we’re excited to let you know that our browser extension has been updated for both Chrome and Firefox! If you were a previous user of the browser extension, you might want to try re-installing from those links above just to make sure everything’s all up to date.
While it was important to us that this update squash as many bugs as possible, what’s really exciting is that the extension now runs on our new API! By setting up and adding all of your streams to your Streamified username, your information now can go wherever you go.
By the way: you may already have a Streamified username if you’re an iOS user or if you’ve been testing out our Streamified.me web app. To log in with your username, double click on the Streamified icon in your toolbar; this will open up Streamified.me in your browser. Enter your username and validate it (so the server knows it’s you) by logging in to one of your social networks. Your streams should now be ready to go, so feel free to skip ahead to learning more about what’s new in the extension!
Here’s a quick guide to setting up your username:
- Click on the Streamified icon in your browser’s toolbar.
- You should be taken to Streamified.me, our web app. This works hand-in-hand with the extension to give it some additional power. Click to log in.
- Pick a username, then click to continue.
- Start the process of beefing up your username by adding your first stream. We don’t store any of your private log-in information, by the way.
- Repeat the process of adding until you’re all set.
- Go to Google+; after the extension loads in, you should see the Streamified icon instead of the Home icon in the leftside navigation menu. Mouseover it to make sure all your streams are where they’re supposed to be.
- If you want to use the Streamified browser extension on a different computer or browser, after installing it, just input your username and validate it by logging in to any of the streams you added to it.
So, what else is new besides usernames? In addition to smoother performance, we also revamped sharing. You can share a link to any webpage by clicking on the Streamified toolbar icon; this will bring up a pop-up share box. Add a message of your choice, then select the social networks you’d like to post to. You can also right-click to bring up a “Share” prompt; this will open up the same share box, too. Try clicking on the camera button, too… that action brings up a file picker so you can share an image from your computer.
In a pinch, you can also use the share box to send a post without navigating to Streamified.me or Google+. Just open up the share box, then delete the URL information that was inserted (look for the link icon to go from grey to brown). Then input your message, select your networks, and share.
Also, while double-clicking on the toolbar icon will bring you to the extension’s settings, keep in mind that you can also access them by going to Streamified.me and clicking on the little icon with three horizontal lines in the upper left corner. This is where you can access stream-specific settings, like enabling Facebook Pages and additional Tumblogs.
Last but not least, you can now add a RSS feed of your choice! Go to settings, then click the + icon to add a stream. Scroll down and select “RSS feed” under subscriptions.
We’re excited to hear your feedback about the extension update, so please let us know what you think at Get Satisfaction. Also, if you haven’t joined us yet, here’s some links to our Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages. We’d love to hear from you there, too!